Friday, August 28, 2009

The problem with blogging is that I view it as a chore. One more thing to do that takes up what little time I have between work and home. blogging has to fit into that gray area where I take care of personal business like reading and working on various projects, time is at a premium.

So, I promise to keep these shorter from now on. They have been essays, which I'm far more comfortable writing than short bytes, but if I don't have time to write an essay, I can't believe that anyone bothering to drill down here to luddite-land (where we prefer to do things the hard way, gull dang it!) has much time to read 900-word essays. So, in the spirit of curtailment...

I've just returned from the UK with my wife and our two daughters. Forget staycations: I feel like my kids need the perspective that travel provides if their world view is to be somewhat expansive. I also need to have the excitement and refreshment that being on the road can bring. I view taking trips at least once a year as essential, not as a luxury, even if I have to incur a little debt to do it.

I wonder, does anyone else feel this way? Or, are you being fiscally wise and staying home?

3 comments:

  1. Our annual vacation has become the beach with cousins, but Europe should be great when Julia's a bit older (6 currently).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We try to find a balance by dropping some dosh on one vacation (usually spring school vacation) and going economical on another (usually summer). How was the UK? We're contemplating a trip there in 2010 (hoping the dollar can rally a bit vs the Euro in the meantime).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great! We drove the first week, stayed in London for the second. I think we had one too many towns on the itinerary, but it would have been hard to cut just one: Salisbury, Liverpool, Keswick in the lake district, York, Nottingham and then London.

    We mitigated costs by paying for our apartment when the pound was 1.36, and with a kitchen, we saved a ton, as groceries were half the price of those in NYC.

    I recommend you take that route to save a little. I saw many of my friends - including one you know, Rick - and hanging out for tea or dinner was the best part of the trip.

    The kids liked it as well, but more in retrospect. They got tired while it was happening!

    ReplyDelete