Monday, November 2, 2009

MTA Subways Play Leonard Bernstein

It's true. It took me awhile to believe it when my wife kept telling me, "New York City subways play the first three notes of 'Somewhere' from West Side Story."

Now, at first I thought she'd heard some isolated aural anomaly, but once while I was with her, I heard it, too. In fact, for the last couple of years, I've heard it every time I take a subway train. NYC trains always play the first three notes of "Somwhere" and then another note, a long discordant whine. You can hear it here; just wait for the doors to close and the train to start moving:



I take that particular train to work most days, but I've found dozens of videos on you tube (some much longer and believe me, far less interesting, if that's possible) and all trains leaving an underground station make this odd music.

What is making this noise? Are there others out there who've got any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I have been hearing this same song for months--and I have been talking to friends about it. What is so fun is---there must be something about the exact shape of the brake pads, or something, that makes this happen.
    And by the way---Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Don. It's good to be 46. It's good to be any age.

    ReplyDelete