Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Five Years Old...

If you're like me (and who isn't?), you remember being five years old and lying on your parents oatmeal colored shag carpet in the dining room (odd color choice for a dining room rug in an Italian household; its like inviting disappointment). More often than not, I'll hear an old song that will take me right back to where I heard it. That rug is where this 1968 song, by Beatles protege Mary Hopkin, always takes me.



Now, you may find yourself thinking, "Shouldn't this be sung by a much older, much more Russian woman?" Yet somehow, she seemed much older than me at the time, and now, I have all those years "gone rushing by" to give me enough perspective for this song to have quite a different effect on me now than it did then.

2 comments:

  1. USed to play the guitar and sing THOSE WERE THE DAYS with my ol' world Italian Relatives up in my great grandmother's tenament apartment in Newark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone dug this song, for some reason. I remember my mom singing it a lot. We used to do insulting imitations of all the relatives under similar circumstances.

    ReplyDelete