Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Help of the helpless...

...Abide with me.

As an American atheist, I can't help but wonder why I love this very English hymn. Most Brits know it from the FA cup final, and Yanks probably know it from the Full Monty

This summer, I kept humming Abide with Me to myself as I drove from London, to Salisbury, to Evesham, to Liverpool, to Keswick, to Nottingham, to York and back to London. It somehow reinforced the beauty of the English countryside. Now, at work in Manhattan, I'm humming it again. Here's a 1932 recording, and several other versions of it -


Its a great, simple melody entwined with stirring harmony. It makes Amazing Grace sound tinny and hollow. I really hate Amazing Grace.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm the uploader of the Full Monty video and I cant say how happy I am to meet another atheist that likes hymns.. I always felt kind of out of place.

    Abide by me is a truly great tune!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bravado, for the comment. It's good to meet you!

    ReplyDelete